Resumé for Peter H. Bittner
8280 Kreuzlingen, SWITZERLAND
Note: This document is not guaranteed to be updated regularly due to my current roles in IT management.
Please see my CV for appropriate insights!
- Graz University of Technology (Austria)
- Study of Applied Mathematics, focus on Computer Science. MSc degree. (1994-2003)
- Aston University (United Kingdom)
- One year of foreign study at the department of Computer Science. (1999/2000)
Information Processing I+II, Programming I+II, Linear Algebra I+II,
Computer Organization I, Discrete Structures, Mathematical Proseminar
(Quaternions), Data Structures and Algorithms, Design and Analysis of Algorithms,
Geometrical Algorithms, Numerical Computations, Numerical Mathematics,
Theoretical Computer Science I+II, Calculus I+II, Complex Calculus,
Abstract Algebra, Measure Theory and Theory of Integration, Differential
Equations I, Operating Systems I, Programming Languages Concepts and Paradims,
Computer Networks, Legal, Professional and Social Aspects of Computing,
Geographic Information Systems, Multimedia Systems, Object-Oriented Software (C++),
Seminar Multimedia Systems (library database with web-frontend),
Seminar Applied Information Systems (benchmarking of Java cryptography providers),
Human-Computer Interaction, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics,
Mathematical Optimization, Functional Analysis, Mathematical Modelling
German (mother tongue), English, Italian, French
Computer Related Skills
AJAX, CoffeeScript, PHP, Zend Framework, Python, Django, Scala,
ADA, Basic, VB6, VB.NET, Pascal (OOP), 8086 Assembly Language, Miranda (Amanda),
PL/SQL, SQL (Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird), WML, UML,
Maple, Matlab, LaTeX, Arc/Info, ArcView, Imageworks PCI, GRASS,
Adobe Photoshop, Corel products, Gimp, Paint Shop Pro (incl. Animation Shop),
Macromedia Director, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice, KOffice, MS BizTalk Server,
MS Sharepoint Portal Server, IBM MQSeries Integrator, Sparx Enterprise Architect,
Unix and Linux software development tools (gcc, g++, gdb, purify), Eclipse,
JBuilder, JDeveloper, KDevelop, MS Visual Studio, MS Visual Studio .NET,
NetBeans, PhpStorm, PyCharm, Jenkins Continuous Integration server,
MS Team Foundation Server, MS SourceSafe, CVS/CVSNT, Subversion, Mercurial, Git,
Beanstalk, SourceForge Enterprise Edition, Bugzilla, JIRA, Confluence,
Bitrix Social Intranet, IBM Rational ClearQuest, Cygwin, UNIX (Solaris, IRIX, FreeBSD),
Linux (K/Ubuntu, Debian, SuSE, Slackware, RedHat), Mac OS X, iOS, MS-DOS,
Windows 7/CE/Vista/2k3/2k/NT/XP/ME/95/98/3.x, Scrum, design patterns
- Internet projects/Web pages
- Website development e-commerce department at HolidayCheck AG. (Bottighofen/Switzerland, 2011+)
- Screen design and style sheet (CSS) development paired with focus on XHTML
compliance of the resulting web pages in the course of development of a web portal
using J2EE technology at Capgemini
Italia SpA. (Rome/Italy, 2008)
- Automation of intranet page population using Microsoft Sharepoint Teamrooms,
RSS technology, dynamic HTML and PHP in Capgemini's Intranet. Cooperation with
external supplier Stepnet.fr in Paris providing maintenance of the intranet platform.
(Capgemini Consulting Österreich
- Implementation and hosting of various websites using CMS software
(Plone, Drupal) on Debian Linux running Apache2. Evaluated and tested various
Open Source CMS solutions. (2003-2006)
- Designed, wrote and maintained complete homepage for the
"Austrian Association for Health Promotion"
usability concerns, e-mail and webspace management, complete website lifecycle. (1998-2002)
Author of "Introduction to HTML", an online course for HTML.
Wrote complete homepage for the Austrian Students Organization,
branch Mathematics. (1998)
Wrote parts of homepage for the department of Theoretical Computer
Science (see below). (http://www.cis.tu-graz.ac.at/igi/oaich) (1997)
- Script programming languages (Python, Perl, PHP), shell scripting, CGI
- Shell programming (bash, csh, tcsh and others) for automation of everyday tasks,
e.g. simple daily database backup. Extensive shell programming for
use at Thales Rail Signalling Solutions Austria. (1999-2002, 2009-2010)
CSV/textfile manipulation for data import pre-processing realized using Python.
Interface for import of data generated by ISIS Papyrus into ADOS Document Management System
implemented with Python. (Vienna/Austria, 2004-2005)
Library database with web frontend (Python via CGI) for personal use (see below, databases; 2000).
Attempts to port CGI-Python code to mod_python on Apache web server. (2000-2003)
Several other programming tasks (mathematical optimization, design and analysis of algorithms)
realized in Python. (2000-2003)
PHP programming for the "Austrian Association for Health Promotion"
(see above), including Intranet solutions providing a one-click-update interface for
e-mail distribution lists holding different classes of the association's members,
data management interfaces, data download facilities, etc. (2001/02)
- J2EE development on a project for an Italian public body in a team of 8
developers at Capgemini Italia SpA.
Developed JSPs and servlets, as well as a custom tag library to accelerate development.
- Programmed database front-end (Java GUI) for an Oracle database
using the customer's framework (called SyFrame). (IT Consultant at TeamWORKS
Consulting & Engineering GmbH; project for Magna-Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik; Graz/Austria, 2002)
Wrote command-line tool which reads from and writes to IBM MQSeries
queues, and can manipulate data (XML/CSV conversion) beforehand and afterwards
(MQSI Connector Toolkit by COMMARO, part of diploma thesis;
COMMARO mobile trading systems GmbH, Klagenfurt/Austria). (summer 2001)
Designed and developed a Java-Swing GUI to benchmark cryptography
Cryptography Benchmark Environment; Graz University of Technology,
department of Applied Computer Science). (April/May 2001)
Designed and developed a 2D-plotter program in Java for visualisation
of satellite data at VEXCEL Corp. (Image Information Engineering), Boulder (CO),
USA. (summer 1999)
Wrote parts of a platform independent graphical user interface (SARPS2)
in Java (for SGI, Alpha and SUN workstations) at VEXCEL Corporation, Boulder (CO),
USA. (summer 1998)
as well as homepages developed for
Austrian Students Organization,
Austrian Association for Health Promotion.
- .NET Framework Programming
- Developed a graphical editor based on Microsoft Visio technology using
C# and Microsoft's Visio Drawing Control for customer KSG's security surveillance systems. (Vienna/Austria, 2006)
- Developed data migration tools and archiving extensions for the ADOS
Document Management System for customers of Canon Europe (e.g.
Liechtenstein Global Trust,
WFL Millturn) using C#.
- C and C++ Programmer
- Maintained software written in C++ on Debian Linux, simulating
XML message exchange between sensors and servers of rail safety appliances
at Thales Rail Signalling Solutions Austria. (2009-2010)
- Extensive customization of the ADOS
Document Management System, developed Windows DLLs using MFC and COM.
- Developed program to demonstrate numerical computations for linear
and non-linear equation systems as well as interpolations (used KDevelop on Linux).
Implemented algorithms: Newton-Raphson, Newton single-step, Steffensen, SOR. (Numerical
Mathematics; Graz University of Technology, department of Mathematics D). (2001)
- Developed various modules in C++ used by different applications
at VEXCEL Corporation, Boulder (CO), USA. (summer 1999)
- Wrote parts (modules) of the OSP (Operation System Projects) as part of
a project in C under UNIX (general interrupt handler, timer-, device- and
I/O interrupt handler, scheduler, modules Memory and PageInt). (Graz University
of Technology, department of Applied Computer Science) (1997)
- Wrote program that manipulates matrices with the following algorithms:
Gauss, Gauss-Banachiewicz, Crout, Cholesky. (Numerical Computations; Graz
University of Technology, department of Mathematics D). (1996)
- Wrote some shareware and freeware programs:
- The MenuManager
(a professional menu-program with SAA-interface to run Windows- and DOS programs
and documents. Integrated help engine that uses a compressed help file
(Huffman-coding). English and German version. Shareware. Development 1993-1995.
Some improvements 1996/97.)
- Compression utilities
Both programs formed a project that was part of my school-leaving exam (1993).
- COMPRIM: Run-length and Huffman coding. Freeware.
- LZWarc: Lempel-Ziv-Welch coding (LZW). Creates archives like
Lha/LHArc or PkZip do. Creates selfextracting archives.
Adaptable by many command-line options and switches. Freeware.
- The CoverManager (a WYSIWYG-cover-creator for tapes and CDs with
intuitive SAA-user interface. Freeware. 1992/93)
- Several file manipulation utilities (Exchange, Copybyte, Xdel,
Check4Key and others)
- Wrote program for an Austrian insurance-company (department for real
estate agents). Data of client and object to be insured must be entered; then
cost is calculated and contract is printed. Intuitive interface. (summer 1993)
- Wrote a complete toolbox to create DOS-programs with SAA-compatible
user interface (1992-1994).
- UNIX and Linux
- Debian Linux large-scale cluster setup automation using the
at Thales Rail Signalling Solutions Austria, including network setup troubleshooting,
dealing with different types of hardware, packageing, bash script hacking, etc.
- Linux server installation and adminstration for development support.
Web application development and backup solutions. Experience with virtual
machines (VMware), problems and potentials. (2004-2006)
- Network related experience (see below): Linux server and client
administration; configuration of web-/file-/print-server, internet gateway,
firewall, Samba, NFS, NIS, LDAP, security and backup issues, etc. (2000-2004)
- Designed and developed 2D-plotter in Java to visualize satellite
data; developed platform independent graphical user interface (GUI) in Java
at VEXCEL Corporation, Boulder (CO), USA (see above). (summer 1998 and 1999)
- Wrote parts of homepage for the department of Theoretical Computer
Science. Worked with Tex2Html-converter, Emacs and other tools (Graz University
of Technology, department of Theoretical Computer Science). (1997)
- C-programming (see above). (1997)
- Databases and Application Integration
- Extensive customization of the ADOS Document Management System (backend and frontend)
using PL/SQL and Java Stored Procedures as well as DLL programming (MFC, COM
using C++ and C#).
Extensive data migration from 3rd-party archiving solutions at
Kreditschutzverband von 1870
and integration of 3rd-party customer software. (Vienna/Austria, 2004-2006)
- SQL and PL/SQL programming in the development of a Java database
front-end for Oracle at Magna-Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik. (Graz/Austria, 2002)
- Programming experience with MySQL as backend of a dynamic PHP-driven
webpage (Austrian Association for Health Promotion). (2001/02)
- Tested Microsoft BizTalk Server and IBM MQSeries Integrator for
application and data integration (XML technology, message queueing).
(Part of diploma thesis; COMMARO mobile trading systems GmbH, Klagenfurt/Austria).
- Designed and developed full-featured library database with
web-interface, cross-platform design (platform and database independent,
tested with Oracle and MySQL) and simplified query language for advanced
search queries. (LibrisLibris, Seminar Multimedia Systems;
Individual Project at Aston University, Birmingham/UK). (2000)
- Basic and Pascal Programmer
- Adaption and bug fixing on Emergency Control Center RLS-NT (VB6)
for Austrian Red Cross.
Adaption and bug fixing of VB.NET code for various applications.
- Wrote 3 programs with object orientated programming in Pascal
(Checkers, DataTypes (stack, sorted chained list, sorted binary tree), cash
register) (1994/95) and a seminar-organization program (scheduler). (Graz
University of Technology, department of Information Processing) (1995)
- Various tools and useful programs in Basic (GWBasic, Borland TurboBasic,
MS QuickBasic, Visual Basic 6.0). (1989/90, 1998)
- Some Visual-Basic code in MS Access databases. (1994-2000)
- Programming on hardware simulators
- Wrote marquee (on LCD display) and gamechip with 4 games on a
hardware simulator (SIM). (Graz University of Technology, department of
Applied Computer Science) (1995)
- Hardware and Network related experience
- Introduction and administration of Linux servers at
(formerly TeamWORKS GmbH) for application development
(J2EE, Bugzilla Call Tracking System, CVS, Subversion, Wiki, databases and
servlet containers). Individual Call Tracking System implementations for several corporate
customers (e.g. IVECO, Canon,
and others). (2004-2006)
- Linux server administration and network construction (private LAN),
Windows 2000 Server administration (as needed for testing MS BizTalk Server,
see above). (2001/02)
- Archive data backups (Raiffeisen Computer Center, Klagenfurt/Austria).
- Hardware tests and software installations (BASIC Computer Systems,
QA-department, Klagenfurt/Austria). (summer 1991)
- Lecturer at Vienna Adult Education Center and other institutions giving Linux, Usability, and programming courses
- education.bittner.it (German info website)
- Project Manager Remedy Solutions (iSEC - a SIEMENS Company, 2008-2009)
- SIEMENS Global Service Infrastructure (GSI), development of core component
GSI.flow. Responsibility for a test team and two software development
teams in both Ankara (Turkey) and Vienna (Austria).
- Community Leader Open Source Eastern Europe, Human Resources Eastern Europe
- Leader and promotor of two of Capgemini's internal collaboration communities, (2008)
- Webmaster and consultant of the Austrian Association for Health Promotion
- Private lessons in programming (C++, Visual Basic)
- for students of technical schools (HTL), (1998-2003)
- Wrote booklet for university lecture "Data Structures and Algorithms"
- (110 pages), (1997). Used for lectures by the department of
Theoretical Computer Science at Graz University of Technology.
- Wrote booklet for university lecture "Geometrical Algorithms"
- (90 pages), (1996). Used for lectures by the department of
Theoretical Computer Science at Graz University of Technology.
References and Certifications